I never knew baking bread could be so easy!! Inspired by Jamie Oliver’s YouTube video I decided to try making this ‘soda bread’ myself and since then I’ve made it more often, in all kinds of variations. It’s super easy and quick, all done within 30 minutes!
What you need:
- plantbased milk (or even water if you don’t have milk!)
- baking soda
- agave (if you want – can be left out)
Jamie uses an empty tin to measure the amounts (no weighing – I love that!), I just use something from about the same size. Jamie also uses 2 types of flour (plain white and wholegrain), I just use 1 and the same (wholegrain) to make it even easier.
You mix 2 amounts of flour with 1 amount of milk (or water), 2 teaspoons of baking soda, a pinch of salt and if you want 1 teaspoon of agave (or some other sweetner). Mix it well, it needs to be still a bit sticky, but not too much.
You can make it into any shape you like:
- A big loaf of bread (as in the picture): make a round ball and flatten it, cut it twice in the middle (in a cross), almost untill the bottom. I also added some oatmeal on top.
- Little buns: just make small balls and flatten them a little when you put them on the baking tray.
- Little rolls with filling: flatten the dough on your counter, put in any filling you like (nuts, chocolate, vegan cheese…), roll it up and cut it into pieces. Put the pieces flat on the baking tray.
Put some flour on a baking tray, place your bread on top, bake for 20 minutes – done! Enjoy!!
Go back to vegan recipes.